Bank First Visa Credit and Visa Debit cards come with the added benefit of Visa payWave technology. For more information, see our Visa payWave page.
If you are having issues with contactless card payments, click here
Where Can I Use My Card?
Your Victoria Teachers Mutual Bank or Bank First Visa Credit Cards and Visa Debit Card are accepted anywhere the Visa logo is displayed in Australia or overseas.
You can also use your Visa Credit Cards and Visa Debit Card at ATMs and POS terminals across Australia or to make purchases over the phone or via the internet.
Is a Visa Debit Card a Credit Card?
No. A Visa Debit Card is not a Credit Card.
The Visa Debit Card is linked to your transaction account and can only use the funds available in that account.
Using your Visa Card Overseas
Your Visa Credit Cards and Visa Debit Card are accepted anywhere the Visa logo is displayed overseas.
Recently, Visa chip cards have been introduced in several overseas countries.
In this case, there may be the rare instance when an overseas merchant will be uncertain about how to process a transaction on a foreign Visa card.
Your Visa card will operate as usual (by pressing the CR button) in these countries. All the merchant has to do is swipe the card in the terminal and follow the prompts.
Further information can be obtained on the Visa International website.
Changing your PIN
You can now select the PIN on your Victoria Teachers Mutual Bank or Bank First card via Internet Banking or Mobile Banking App as long as you have SMS One Time Password enabled. It provides you with the convenience of selecting a PIN via a secure channel anywhere/anytime. You won’t need to know your existing PIN to change it.
If you're not yet registered for internet banking, please call 1300 654 822.
What Do I Do If My Card Is Lost Or Stolen?
To report a lost or stolen card, call 1300 654 822. A lost or stolen card can also be stopped at any time within your Mobile Banking App. If you lose your card overseas call +61 3 9834 8560 or contact Visa Global Assistance.
Visa Global Assistance can arrange for an Emergency Cash advance of up to US$400.00 within 48 hours (higher amounts may take additional time). An emergency card can also be provided within 48 hours. (Please note PIN numbers are not provided with Emergency Cards and so cannot be used in ATMs or for any other PIN transactions). A fee of $150 for an Emergency Card is also applicable. (This fee is waived for Visa Platinum Credit Card holders, please refer to Terms and Conditions Part B: Fees and Charges.)
For more information on card security, please visit our Security overview.
Verified by Visa Service
Your Mutual Bank is now required by Visa International to automatically register your Debit/Credit Card for the Verified by Visa Service. This Service is designed to provide added protection when performing purchases online at merchants who authenticate via Verified by Visa. Not all online merchants are registered for this service so Members should exercise caution when purchasing over the Internet.
When shopping online at a merchant who uses the Verified by Visa Service, you may be prompted to enter information that is matched against the Mutual Bank’s records. The merchant is not aware of the information being asked, so you can be ensured the process is secure. Once the correct responses are entered, the Verified by Visa Service will authenticate you as the authorised card holder and complete your online transaction.
For more information, browse the Verified by Visa FAQs.
Verified by Visa Frequently Asked Questions.
What is payWave and how does it work?
Click here for information on payWave.
How do I dispute a transaction on my card?
Before submitting this form we recommend:
- Searching the business/merchant name online. The business name on your bank statement may differ to their trading name and this may help you identify what the purchase relates to.
- Contacting the merchant first to resolve any issues. If you are unsuccessful in contacting the merchant, please proceed with completing the form.
- To apply:
Visa Credit Cards
We have a choice of two Credit Cards to suit you and your lifestyle:
- Visa Platinum Credit Card - offering a highly competitive interest rate on purchases, exclusive Visa Platinum privileges and up to 55 days interest free*.
- Visa Classic Credit Card - offering a low interest rate, no annual fee and up to 55 days interest free*.
Visa Debit Cards
Our Visa Debit Card allows access to your funds wherever and whenever you need them. The Visa Debit Card is not a credit card, but allows purchases to be directly debited from your transaction account.
As of June 2019, Bank First will no longer offer ATM Cards, and will replace them with Visa Debit Cards.
Why have you stopped offering ATM Cards?
- Additional functionality - due to the additional features of the Visa Debit Card and the limited access of the ATM Card we have made the decision to transition ATM Cards to Visa Debit Cards.
- Customer purchase protection with Visa's zero liability policy - Visa cardholders are not liable for fraudulent charges or unauthorised purchases as long as they did not participate in the transaction.
- Verified by Visa - when you shop online, we can ask you for additional security information for higher risk transactions to make sure the card isn't being used without your permission.
What about Children's accounts?
Children from the age of 12 are now entitled to have a Visa Debit Card on their account. If the account holder is between the age of 12-14, they must have a parent or guardian who is an authorised signatory on the account approve the Visa Debit Card.