How to recognise a scam call
Usually, scam callers call you out of the blue and try to use scare tactics to get you to hand over personal financial information. If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is.
• use ‘robocalls’ or recorded messages telling you that you must act immediately and provide financial details to avoid a financial penalty
• make you feel threatened or afraid
• pretend that you’ve won money and request your bank details to deposit the funds
• pretend to be from a trusted organisation (even government) to get your personal details
• give you fake employee ID numbers to make it seem like they are really employees of a known organisation.
As technology advances, there are many ways that scammers can mimic real phone numbers to trick you into answering the call.
While it won’t stop scammers, if you receive a lot of telemarketing calls, you can also reduce these by registering your phone number on the Do Not Call Register. If your number is listed on the Do Not Call Register, it’s illegal for telemarketers to call you.
If you think you’ve been scammed and potentially lost money please contact our friendly customer service team immediately on 1300 654 822 and they will assist you.