Be prepared this summer
Bushfires can have devastating effects on thousands of homes and belongings. Ensure your biggest assets are adequately protected. We’ve provided information about how you can prepare your home and insurance policy ahead of the upcoming summer months.
Prepare your home
- Keep up-to-date with local radio reports.
- Clean out your gutters, roofs and downpipes by removing leaves and twigs.
- Ensure flammable items are away from your home e.g. wood, paper, boxes and fallen leaves.
- Cut back trees and shrubs from around the yard.
- Keep your lawn short and garden well maintained.
- Cover all gaps in external roof and wall cladding.
- Check that your water systems are working.
- Make certain that you have a first aid kit nearby.
Ensure your insurance policy protects you
Review your home and contents insurance policy every 12 months and update your sum insured if needed. Ensure you’re aware of what’s included in your insurance policy and any key exclusions too. Fire cover is standard for most insurance policies, however bushfires can be different. Make sure you read your Product Disclosure Statement and also check for any waiting periods and embargos.
Terms and conditions in insurance policies can change over time too, so keep an eye out if any changes are made that may affect you (your insurance provider should notify you of any policy changes as they happen).
How we can help
Did you know that our insurance parter, CGU, provides cover for extras in the event of a total loss to your building, such as from a bushfire?
- Rebuilding fees – If your buildings suffer loss or damage, and need to be rebuilt as a result, CGU will cover the costs of employing an architect or surveyor, and also pay any legal fees that arise from the rebuilding, up to 10% of your buildings sum insured.
- Alternative accommodation - CGU Building Insurance cover offers a further 10% of your building sum insured for alternate accommodation in the event of loss or damage to your building.
- Removal of debris - We will cover the reasonable costs to demolish and remove any debris that results from loss or damage to your buildings or contents, up to 10% of your buildings or contents sum insured.
With CGU, there is no cover for loss or damage caused by a bushfire or grassfire within 48 hours of the start date of your policy.
Insurance issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 (IAL) trading as CGU of 388 George Street, Sydney, NSW. In arranging this insurance, Victoria Teachers Limited ABN 44 087 651 769 trading as Bank First, AFSL/Australian Credit Licence Number 240 960, acts under its own Australian Financial Services Licence and under an agreement with IAL, not as your agent. We receive commission on these insurance products as a percentage of the premium price for each policy ranging from 5 - 35%.
This information does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Therefore you should firstly consider the appropriateness of this information and refer to the Terms and Conditions and Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before acquiring a product. These documents are available by contacting us on 1300 654 166.