We’ve listed some basic reminders that can help to keep online security in the back of your mind.
- Set your security software updates to scan regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications.
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses.
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments.
- Take care when transacting online – research the supplier and use a safe payment method.
- Only download ‘apps’ from reputable publishers and read all permission requests.
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites.
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online.
- If you have a child, talk to them about staying safe online.
- Report or talk to someone if you feel uncomfortable or threatened online – visit the Office of the eSafety Commissioner website.
For more information, visit https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au.