Our support of the education community grew from government Primary Schools in the 1970’s and we are proud that these foundations have continued to develop across different sectors. Such support is evidence of the positive impact our personalised service and continued presence at the grassroots of education has on the financial wellbeing of our community.
Over the past 10 years we are proud to have contributed over $4.7m to support the education sector through donations, sponsorships and partnerships.
Our team of Relationship Officers visited preschools, schools and tertiary organisations, offering support to existing customers and promoting the bank to the wider education community. As a relationships-based organisation, it is this level of personal service that sets us apart.
Our long-standing partnerships with education associations help us to connect with educators, understand what’s important to them and provide the support they need. Some of our key partners include:
- Australian Education Union – Victoria Branch
- Business Managers Victoria
- Principals’ Association of Special Schools
- State Schools’ Relief.
- Teacher Learning Network.
- Victorian Principal’s Association.
- Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals.
- Victorian Teachers Games.
Scholarships and Grants
We continue to extend our support not only at a sector level, but with scholarships and grants to individuals, including:
- University Student Teacher awards.
- Victorian Principal Association study award.
- Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals Marion Heale Aspiring Leader award.
- Science Talent Search awards.
Supporting graduate teachers
Through our partnership with the Victorian Institute of Teaching we have continued to provide financial literacy support to teachers at the commencement of their teaching career, along with a tailored banking package designed to support their financial wellbeing.
Teaching Initiatives Program
23 schools and preschools shared in over $34,800 in our 2018 Teaching Initiatives Program. Grants were awarded for innovative learning-based programs as they have been since inception in 1993. This year’s People’s Choice Award winner was Swan Hill Specialist School for their initiative ‘Creating Playground Equipment from Recycled Materials’.
Find out more about our Teaching Initiatives Program.
We provide assistance to a range of charities in the education sector including:
- Better Buddies – The Alannah & Madeline Foundation’s Better Buddies Framework is an initiative designed to create friendly and caring primary school communities where bullying is reduced.
- State Schools’ Relief – supports disadvantaged children by providing them with basic necessities such as quality school clothing, footwear and socks.
Socially responsible business practices
As an organisation that cares for the community, we endeavour to support the environment with sustainable business practices. Our office spaces are equipped with environmentally friendly products including watertanks, responsible waste management, reduced internal printing, recycled materials and energy efficient lighting.
Our Green Car Loan and Green Personal Loan have a lower interest rate than their standard counterparts, to reward customers for selecting environmentally friendly products.
We choose online channels as our method of communication wherever possible to reduce our paper usage, and continue to encourage customers to switch to electronic statements. We print on recycled paper wherever possible.
Through our partnership with Sustainability Victoria we sponsor categories in the ResourceSmart School Awards which acknowledge sustainability initiatives in Victorian schools.
Our people along with Bank First are currently making ongoing donations to sponsor children through World Vision and support the CUFA Village Entrepreneur Program.