Benefits of visiting a farmers’ market
With sunny mornings to enjoy at this time of year, travelling to a farmers’ market can be the perfect way to start your day.
Each farmers’ market offers its own unique experience which can be shared with anyone you bring along; whether it’s your friend, partner, child or grandchild.
Here we list some of the many benefits that you can enjoy by visiting a farmers’ market:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables: locally grown food is often fresher than food purchased in a big supermarket as there is a shorter time from ‘paddock to plate’.
- Support local farmers: higher profits can be generated for farmers as the middleman is removed, with produce going directly to the consumer.
- Affordability: you can often save money by shopping at your local farmers’ market rather than a supermarket, especially for organic fruits and vegetables.
- Mental health benefits: getting out and about is a great way to improve your mental health and keep your mind active.
- Entertainment: some farmers’ markets also have stalls featuring arts, crafts and music.
Farmers’ markets are not just limited to fruit and vegetables either. Depending on which farmers’ market you visit, you can often find other fresh goodies such as flowers, homemade bread, cheese and sausages.
So with economic, social and health benefits on offer, what are you waiting for?
The Australian Farmers’ Markets Association makes it easy to find your nearest farmers’ market