With summer approaching and restrictions easing, it’s the perfect time to get outdoors.
Did you know that walking (leisurely or fast-paced), provides you physical and emotional benefits?
Here are five benefits that will have you walking straight to your running shoes:
- Walking makes your muscles stronger, strengthens your bones and can improve the health of your joints.
- Walking helps you sleep better at night.
- Walking makes you happier as your mood improves.
- Walking helps you lose weight with a balanced diet.
- Walking helps blood circulate through your body, leading to improved circulation as you are consistently moving.
If you haven’t walked in a while, you can try easing into it by beginning with short 5-10 minute walks. So what are you waiting for? Call a friend or head to your local park. The City of Melbourne’s website has a full guide of parks in Melbourne You can view their list of parks and reserves by metro or suburb.
If you don’t feel comfortable walking on your own, join a walking group. The Heart Foundation has free community-based walking groups which are great for consistent exercise and socialising.