Staying safe whilst driving to and from your next snowy holiday destination is important. Here’re our best tips on driving through some of Australia’s iciest conditions.
Before you go
- Check weather conditions before you leave. Never drive if there is a snow storm forecast
- Tyres should have a thick tread
- Take tyre chains with you as they are legally needed in some areas
- Check your vehicle is working properly and safe to drive
- Ensure your battery is working properly
- Double check brakes are working well
- Add anti-freeze to your radiator
- Be cautious of wildlife crossing the road in national parks
Pack your car up
- Bring a torch for light
- Pack a blanket for warmth in case you get snow-logged
- If you do get stuck, never leave your vehicle and leave a light on so you can be found easily
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly to avoid skidding and spinning your vehicle out of control
- Drive cautiously and slowly if conditions worsen
- Double the distance you’d normally leave between you and the car in front of you
- Turn on your low beams during the day, and turn on fog lights if it starts to snow
- If you lose visibility, pull over to a safe spot and wait it out with your hazard lights on
Snow driving safety
You can check the Transport Centre in your state for more tips before you go driving in icy weather. Making sure you have adequate car insurance before setting off is also important. You can speak to our team today on 1300 654 166 or visit Car Insurance.
Standard underwriting criteria and policy terms and conditions apply. Insurance issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722, AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance (CGU). In arranging this insurance, Victoria Teachers Limited ABN 44 087 651 769 AFSL 240960 trading as Bank First (Bank First), acts under its own AFSL and under an agreement with CGU, not as your agent. Bank First receives commission when selling CGU insurance products. Please refer to Bank First’s Financial Services Guide (FSG) for details of these commissions. Any advice is general only. This information does not take into consideration your objectives, financial situation or needs. Therefore, you should firstly consider the appropriateness of this information and refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before acquiring a product, available by calling 1300 654 166, visiting a branch or by visiting Bank First’s website.